Roller furling staysail?

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • April 05, 2011 2:11 PM
    Message # 564940
    Deleted user
    Does anybody use a roller furling system on the staysail. Sorry if this is a dumb question? If so, what type is 'best' and if not, why not?
  • April 05, 2011 9:18 PM
    Reply # 565145 on 564940
    I have Harkin furling on the jib and staysail on my W43.

    Rob
  • April 06, 2011 3:52 AM
    Reply # 565210 on 564940
    Deleted user
    I am currently installing Harken on W32 Sapphire inner stay. Chose Harken to match furler on headstay. Looking for easier sail change while single handing. Removed the high field lever if anyone is interested $150.
  • April 06, 2011 4:13 AM
    Reply # 565216 on 565210
    Deleted user
    John Humphrey wrote: I am currently installing Harken on W32 Sapphire inner stay. Chose Harken to match furler on headstay. Looking for easier sail change while single handing. Removed the high field lever if anyone is interested $150.

    Thanks for the information. What expenses were involved in doing this changeover? I am not very familiar with this system, except that I already have roller furling on the jib and the previous owner(s) had installed lazy jacks on the main. I guess LAZY is the operative word here.

  • April 06, 2011 8:30 AM
    Reply # 565359 on 564940

    Steve,

    For a furling staysail you would have to go to the loose footed arrangement shown in my Westsail Service Manual, or alternatively, if you wanted to keep the staysail boom, a track installed on the top of the boom with a roller car that goes back and forth along the top of the boom.

  • April 06, 2011 8:59 AM
    Reply # 565396 on 565359
    Deleted user
    Bud Taplin wrote:

    Steve,

    For a furling staysail you would have to go to the loose footed arrangement shown in my Westsail Service Manual, or alternatively, if you wanted to keep the staysail boom, a track installed on the top of the boom with a roller car that goes back and forth along the top of the boom.


    Hi Bud,

    I presently don't have a staysail boom, but do have the track that was used before the boom was removed. I am not entirely familiar with the hardware and sail modifications that would be required to make this modification. I also have no idea of the costs involved.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • April 06, 2011 11:52 AM
    Reply # 565544 on 564940
    Are we talking about roller furling or roller reefing?  I have a roller furled staysail and a staysail boom, with the staysail attached to the boom by a line from the outboard end of the boom to the clew of the sail.  Both the jib and the staysail are hanked onto their respective stays.  But there is no track on the boom.  The track and car for the staysail boom are on the cabin top.
  • April 06, 2011 12:06 PM
    Reply # 565552 on 565544
    Deleted user
    Ralph Weiland wrote: Are we talking about roller furling or roller reefing?  I have a roller furled staysail and a staysail boom, with the staysail attached to the boom by a line from the outboard end of the boom to the clew of the sail.  Both the jib and the staysail are hanked onto their respective stays.  But there is no track on the boom.  The track and car for the staysail boom are on the cabin top.

    Hi Ralph,
    I have roller furling on the jib and am considering the same on the staysail. There is no boom involved here. I have the track for the staysail but it was flown as a loose footed staysail. I have not sailed this boat since I bought it and am 'kicking tires' right now as to what I feel will be the best option for me and my rapidly-deflating wallet.

    Thanks,
    Steve
  • April 07, 2011 2:04 AM
    Reply # 566045 on 564940
    Deleted user
    I have recently installed roller reefing for the new staysail on Namaste. The boom is gone. It is a self tacking arrangement, i.e. there is only one sheet going from the becket on the block on the traveller car to the clew of the sail, then back to the block on the car and all the way up to a block where the staysail is attached to the mast, then back to a block on the deck and then via a deck organizer comes under the dodger to a cleat. 

    Works perfectly, once set I don't need to touch it whether tacking or gybing. It's a real friend of a solo sailor.

    Have a look at the photo here (last photo in the album). Look for a black sheet.
    I've only installed this recently but would recommend it to everybody. The major cost is the furler and in my case a new sail. No need for two tracks on the sides of the cabin nor new winches. Namaste has one winch under the dodger on the stbd side that can be used if needed for tensioning of the staysail sheet.
    Cheers,
    Wojtek
    sv Namaste (W28)
  • April 07, 2011 8:43 AM
    Reply # 566167 on 566045
    Deleted user
    Wojciech Lukaszewicz wrote: I have recently installed roller reefing for the new staysail on Namaste. The boom is gone. It is a self tacking arrangement, i.e. there is only one sheet going from the becket on the block on the traveller car to the clew of the sail, then back to the block on the car and all the way up to a block where the staysail is attached to the mast, then back to a block on the deck and then via a deck organizer comes under the dodger to a cleat. 

    Works perfectly, once set I don't need to touch it whether tacking or gybing. It's a real friend of a solo sailor.

    Have a look at the photo here (last photo in the album). Look for a black sheet.
    I've only installed this recently but would recommend it to everybody. The major cost is the furler and in my case a new sail. No need for two tracks on the sides of the cabin nor new winches. Namaste has one winch under the dodger on the stbd side that can be used if needed for tensioning of the staysail sheet.
    Cheers,
    Wojtek
    sv Namaste (W28)

    Hi Wojciech,

    Thanks for the information. Roughly what did it cost for the hardware to make this conversion? I am trying to decided if it is worth the money for the convenience.

    All the best,

    Steve

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software